Join UP Academy’s March Away from Screens Month!
“Families and students expressed a wide range of reactions and emotions, from crying to wanting to throw out the family TV! We each have a different relationship to technology.”
Here is a blog from one family who went on a screen fast.
Tweens spend less time outside than prisoners
That’s less than one hour a day. These shocking stats were from a survey of 2,000 parents of 5 to 12-year-olds. The survey – part of Percil’s Dirt is Good campaign – revealed the following:
- Kids spend twice as long playing on screens as they do playing outside.
- 3-in-4 kids spend less than 60 minutes playing outside each day.
- 1-in-5 kids don’t play outside at all on a typical day.
- 3-in-4 parents said their kids often refuse to play games without some form of technology.
- 2-in-3 parents say their kids spend less time outside than they did as children.